Thursday, September 9, 2010

To Wiki or Not To Wiki

To Wiki or Not To Wiki....Ah yes that is the question of the day~

Teaching seniors in a research-laden class called "World Cultures" I have constantly struggled with this question.  For the last 5 years, I have maintained that Wikipedia is a wonderful thing, a great starting point, a valuable resource, BUT NOT a "source" my students can site on their research bibliography.  Am I antiquated or absolutely fabulous?  Let me know what you think:) 

1 comment:

  1. I recommend doing exactly what you're doing. It is an awesome starting point and key information on Wikipedia should be cited. Follow the links to the original source and use it instead of Wikipedia. But Wikipedia gives a nice overview of topics and helps provide the kind of scaffolding that some students need to progress in their research.

    ReplyDelete